Registration FAQs

Anyone who holds a position in which a Saskatchewan teacher’s certificate is required for employment within the publicly funded school divisions must register with the SPTRB.

Additionally, some employers outside of the publicly funded system may require individuals employed in positions requiring a valid Saskatchewan teacher's certificate to be registered with the SPTRB. Check your employment contract or speak with your employer if you are uncertain.

The Saskatchewan Professional Teachers Regulatory Board (SPTRB) is an independent organization charged with the responsibility of regulating the teaching profession in Saskatchewan. The SPTRB is the provincial system of record for teaching credentials. The SPTRB, as do many other self-regulated professions like teaching, requires annual registration and payment of a registration fee. The annual registration process requires registrants who wish to practice the profession (as outlined in question number 1)  to provide up to date contact information to the SPTRB and to answer a series of disclosure statements annually to be considered current.

If you currently do not have an employer, you will select the "None of the Above" from the Employment Situation drop-down list and "Other" as your employer. Once you do have an employer, please sign in to your SPTRB account to update your employment information. You can access this by clicking Educator Profile once you have signed in to your SPTRB account.

Yes, substitute teachers must register with the SPTRB. If needed, you can add multiple employing school divisions to your record under the Employer field.  

You are not required to register if you are retiring and have no plans to be employed in the upcoming school year. If you think you may sub, then you must be registered as a Substitute teacher prior to your first day in classroom.

If you are drawing employment benefits while on leave, you are still considered to be an employee, therefore you must ensure your registration is valid PRIOR to your first day back to work (if you are not registering in advance of the school year starting).

If you were certified before October 2015 by the Ministry of Education, your username is your 7-digit teacher’s certificate number. If you were certified after October 2015 by the SPTRB, your username is the email address you entered when you created your SPTRB account. You can request a password reset if you do not remember your password. This will be sent to the email address you entered on your SPTRB member account or the email we have on file for you.

Once you submit your registration application you cannot go back and make any edits to the form. However, you can sign in to your SPTRB account at any time to update your contact information, employer or school assignment. Once signed in, click Educator Profile to access this information. NOTE: It may take up to 24 hours for your Educator Profile to update with your registration information.

Once your registration renewal has been received and approved (please allow 24 hours for this to occur), there are two ways to check your registration:
1. Your name will appear on the SPTRB
Public Registry

2. A printable Registration Verification card will be available in your Educator Profile> Registration Verification.

Please Note: Your employer and principal will only be notified when you are registered IF YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR EMPLOYER AND SCHOOL on your registration renewal form OR in your Educator Profile.

Email a copy of your name change document (example: marriage certificate) to the SPTRB at Please include your current name, your Saskatchewan Teacher’s Certificate number and the date that your new name came into effect.