Information for Public
Concerns                                     Complaints


General concerns about a teacher should be directed to the teacher, principal or school division administrator.

Talking to the teacher, when it is appropriate to do so, is usually a good first step to take when addressing a concern. Open communication is often the key to resolving disagreements. If you do not feel comfortable approaching the teacher on your own, you may ask the school principal to facilitate a meeting between you and the teacher. You will need to be prepared to communicate what your concern is and how you think it could be resolved. If your concern persists, you may wish to discuss the matter with a member of the school division’s senior leadership team.


If you have a complaint about a teacher’s conduct or competency, contact the Saskatchewan Professional Teachers Regulatory Board (SPTRB) at 306-352-2230. A member of the SPTRB’s staff will help you determine an appropriate course of action. Appropriate courses of action may include helping you to find a solution with the school division or helping you to file a complaint with the SPTRB.

Complaints must pertain to professional misconduct or professional incompetence and include the name of the teacher who is the subject of the complaint, the full name, address and telephone number of the person making the complaint, and a description of the conduct or actions of the teacher about which the complaint is being made. If you are submitting a complaint which includes multiple registered teachers, please ensure that you complete one form for each individual.

Complaints may be submitted in writing, or recorded on a tape, film or disk and sent to: Office of the Registrar, 204 – 3775 Pasqua Street, Regina, SK S4S 6W8 or

If you are not able to submit your complaint online or record your complaint in writing, please contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance at 306-353-2230.

Complaint Form PDF

What happens when a complaint is made?

When the SPTRB receives a complaint about a teacher, the Registrar will, as soon as it is practicable, notify the teacher and provide him or her with a copy of the complaint in its entirety.

The Professional Conduct Committee

When the Professional Conduct Committee meets to receive a complaint or an employer notice, it notifies, in writing, the teacher who is the subject of the complaint that a complaint has been received and requires the teacher to respond in writing within 20 business days.

The Professional Conduct Committee is responsible for taking the measures it deems necessary to investigate the complaint.

The Professional Conduct Committee may decide:

             1.   that the Discipline Committee will hear the complaint and file a formal complaint with the Discipline Committee; 
  2. that the matter is suitable for a consent resolution process; 
  3.  that no further action is warranted on the facts of the case. 

The Discipline Committee

The Discipline Committee is responsible for hearing the Professional Conduct Committee’s formal complaint. At the conclusion of a hearing the Discipline Committee may find the teacher either guilty or not guilty of the charges set out in the formal complaint. When the verdict is guilty, the Discipline Committee is responsible for making a disciplinary order. The discipline order may include: suspension or cancellation of a teacher’s certificate or other actions such as permitting the teacher to continue to teach subject to terms or conditions or any other order the Discipline Committee considers just.